Thursday 13 December 2012

More Tales From Meg-O-Land

Certain things in life, inadvertently, evoke the same emotion(s) in me. No matter where or when these circumstances may surface or resurface. It's the exact set of feelings rushing back, each time. The case in question, at the moment, is examinations. I have loathed studying for exams right from the time I was a child. On professing this point of view aloud, many a time in the past, I was asked how else would one's progress be evaluated on the course being undertaken. No doubt it is a necessary evil and apparently the sole method of measuring a student's progress and all the other balderdash. I have, however, never quite made peace with the concept and the whole examination ecosystem. Studying per se does not annoy me. But something in my head just goes berserk when I have to study for a particular reason. I prefer to decide what I like to read, never be told what to. More often than not, I want to read/ study something other than what I am 'supposed' to at the given moment. 

Having spent a more than significant part of my life in the education arena - receiving it, so far - I still have the same issues with it that I had as a child in school. It was probably worse back then; but I still put up my examination schedule on a post-it strip on the wall, cross out each subject the minute I am back after the exam and feel the excitement increasing as soon as half the post-it is scratched out. Also, my day dreaming is at its peak while I try to study, the entire world's pending chores coax me to finish them right away, and I never cease to  plan what I will do the minute I finish writing the last darned exam - irrespective of the fact that I almost always never really execute those lofty plans. Surely, a part of me will never grow up.

~