Tuesday 15 September 2015

Writers Write Daily Writing Prompt: 02

It is not always fun being spoiled for choice. For instance right now I am having a tough time picking just one out of these colourful buttons. They all seem quite enticing and interesting to me. Some of them would make my life a lot easier - singularly or in unison. Whereas others would up the wicked fun quotient. So how about I see how it would turn out if I press each of the buttons one by one instead of picking just one. And while I'm at it, I might not to be particularly well behaved when in possession of any of those fantastic powers. Just to be clear, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

Let's get started with the red button. It says that it will make you invisible and the first thing I would do if I am invisible is skip queues. Oh would I! At malls, hotels, stores, movie theatres - practically anywhere there is a phony frisking ritual before letting you pass through. This would also extend to airport security. But here let me clarify, I do not plan on carrying contraband goods so there would be no harm done. Just for fun, and also, I want to know how it feels to be Robert Vadra; to be exempted from critical security frisking without any basis. Of course I would hop on to any plane that I fancied, and always occupy a business class seat. I would attend board meetings of random Fortune 500 companies, just to see how boring or interesting they are and for the same reason I would be part world wide diplomatic meetings. I would not mind occupying Loge seats at Wimbledon, laze around in the VIP lounge at Lord's and of course saunter through the whole of Buckingham palace swooping off a scone or two from her Majesty's tea table. Might even hop on to something NASA is shooting off to space. Sounds ike fun!

The blue button says that it will give me the ability to fly. Now that's a really good one. I would be able to cut back all my commute time, which means I will be able to redeem innumerable precious productive hours of my life; which in turm means I would be able to live in any metro of my choice and avoid one of the major hindrances of any metro these days - traffic.  I would not need a car or any other mode of transportation. Besides saving on my cost of fuel, it would be a green option for the planet! #Politics. Although this does not qualify as a full fledged super hero scenario, I would still seek out to help in animal and children rescues. Besides, I would never have to buy a flight ticket and I could just cruise through the world, see all the places I want to - without aa single stamp on my passport. In your face schenghen visa!

The ability to read people's minds is one that a lot of us would love to possess, and I personally wouldn't mind it. It would make a lot of things clear, gradually making misunderstandings a thing of the past. It does have a wicked side to it surely. So I would probably want to shut off at will and read people's thoughts only when I want to. It would surely be a cruel and unfair advantage during an altercation. I could also start a creepier version of the Carbonaro Effect thereon.

The power to shapeshift into a non extinct animal brings back fond memories of Harry Potter's transfiguration classes and the animagi wizards. I would perhaps want to become a cat for while to know how awesome it feels to be as lissome, lithe and graceful as cats are. There's a bleak chance that iI might try a go at the reptiles purely to ward of my phobias. A sure go would be at a sturdy aquatic creature to go see the beautiful intriguing world beneath.

I'm not sure what I would do with the ability to run at the speed of sound. Perhaps build my stamina again and lose some calories in half the time it would normally take. It's like the mellowed version of the blue button. It would be fun to pretend to be the Flash and freak people out by running around frenetically in a red body suit. The Flash probably ran fatser, but who really knows? Also would be fun to say something and race with my voice and move aside the person to whom I spoke to so that they eventually don't hear anything. Or I could keep talking incessantly so that the final sounds that go to the listener would be all warped. Whichever way it works.

If I could phase through anything, firstly that would render locks and keys redundant for me. Secondly, and more importantly I would be free from the burden of remembering to carry all the appropriate keys to various locks. I cannot recall how many times I have gone back home to fetch a particular key, only to see that I had locked the house keys inside the house too. Not having keys would also mean that if I have phased into a locked space nobody else would be able to get in there - that could be good and bad(?). Additionally, I could traipse through all the shut gates which the security guard of my apartment locks and unlocks, without any logic or sequence, solely at his own whim. This power would also make trespassing so easy - I can just imagine strolling through people's houses giving them a scare of their lives and all those so-called VIP enclosures. Devilish glee!

I would kill be able to lift and move objects with my mind. The tendency of my dwellings to get so messy at the drop of a hat irks me no end. It just needs a little nudge and hell breaks loose. I find the tidying up process extremely tedious and I have conjured up a lot of possible ways to deal with this; and I must say the grey button sounds like the perfect solution. I can have things arranged my way, without uttering a word, without any alien infiltration and best of all, without actually moving a feather. I would be the happiest person ever, no exaggeration.

As a child, and upto my adolescence I was quite inclined to take up a career in medicine. Due to some inexplicable reason I did not explore the possibility of taking up veterinary sciences well in time and as fate had to have it I did not pursue anything remotely medical. However, I would immensely appreciate the ability to heal any non fatal wound in both humans as well as animals. A lot of precious lives are lost to inadequate or lack of timely aid turning non fatal incidents into fatal ones. Especially in the case of homeless animals, who in addition to pure accidents are also subject tohuman cruelty.  I would want to combine this power along with the blue button and become a super saviour. I would go to bed every night knowing that I have indeed made the world a better place.

Phew! That was a lot for a day! Readers are welcome to share which button would they choose to press. AdiĆ³s!