Monday 22 October 2012

Something Bookish

When I am old, I think, children of the neighbourhood will call me the crazy book lady. I cannot figure how and why I find myself in the possession of so many books all the time. By the time I get to being the crazy old book lady I do not know how exactly book-wealthy I will be; but I know for sure that the heir to my books - I will explicitly give them away in my will - will be one hell of a lucky person. At the moment I am in a very makeshift phase in my life where I am living in one small room in a hostel. Yet, you have to see to believe how many non-academic books I have stacked up here. The academic ones are no less though. I do not have a book shelf to fit them all in, so I have turned the window sill into a  make-do bookshelf.

Every new book I read adds value to my life. However, quite sadly, I have been very irregular with my reading lately. I've been so unjust to MacLean. It's taken me weeks and I am still not through his Puppet on a Chain. Princess Diana's biography by Sarah Bradford also beckons me. I wish I could have a job where all I had to do was to read, and watch movies, and sitcoms too.

It was my birthday last week, and thanks to my dear friends it rained books on me. I will, thus, get to my favourite task in sometime - signing my name, the date I got the book on and the place where I got it at, on the first page. This only brings my books closer to me. I have received more than half a dozen titles as presents. Makes it slightly easy for the one who is gifting. Not that I resent this. I would prefer a good book over a typically girly gift any day. I could live in a library for all it's worth. When I am at home, it is pretty much like that though. There is seriously no count of the number of books in my house. The trouble will arise when I it's time for me to move back. My parents, sister and I have our individual book collections. We have our own shelves, but now we find each other trying to sneak a book here and another there in various nooks and crannies on each other's shelves because we are so out of space. When I get  withhome a huge carton of books, it is a possibility that I may have to camp in the lobby just so that my books have a shelter above them. Exaggeration, of course! Everything said and done, there are two must-haves in life. Books, and friends who gift you books!

~